Tabriz as the provincial capital of Eastern Azerbaijan Located in 310 km southeast of Bazargan (Iran- Turkey frontier) is in a valley to the north of the long ridge of Mount Sahand. By virtue of its situation, Tabriz has an agreeable and pleasant summer climate, but it’s extremely cold in winter. Tabriz is a metropolitan area that has a population of about 1.8 million. The population consists mostly of Iranian Azerbaijanis who speak the language. The city is famous for its handicrafts, including hand-woven rugs and jewelry. It is known for locally made confectioneries, chocolates, dried nuts, and traditional food. The city where many kings have selected as the capital of Iran in thousand years ago has a long and turbulent history with its oldest civilization dating back to 1,500 BC. Remarkably, Qajar kings have paid attention to this city and the role of Tarbiz was crucial in Iranian conditional revolution at that time. It contains many historical monuments representing the transition of Iranian architecture in its long historical timelines. In addition, the city has been selected as the tourism capital of the Islamic World in 2018.
The tourist attractions of Tabriz are:
Originally, it has been built in 1465 by the order of Jahan Shah, the ruler of Qara Qoyunlu. The mosque was severely damaged in an earthquake in 1780, leaving only the Iwan intact (entrance hall). Reconstruction began in 1973 by Reza Memaran Benam under the supervision of Iranian Ministry of Culture and is still in process.
Bazaar of Tabriz
It is one of the oldest bazaars of the Middle East and the largest covered bazaar in the world. It is inscribed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. This historical market is situated in the city center of Tabriz. For a long time, Tabriz has been as a place for cultural exchange and the bazaar had been a commercial center on the Silk Road. The Bazaar was famous in the 13th century when the town became the capital city of Safavid Kingdom and it hold the title until the 16th century.
It is a house retracing the story of the Iranian constitutional revolution in the early 20th century which made Tabriz an uprising place. The constitution building is located next to the Great Bazaar of Tabriz. It was used as a gathering place for the leaders and activities of constitutional revolution. The most famous people among them were Sattar Khan, Bagher Khan. The building is constructed in 1868 and its skylight and corridor that are decorated with colorful glass and mirrors can be considered as the most beautiful parts.
It is considered the major archaeological and historical museum in Tabriz and was established on April 1958. The museum mostly contains the objects discovered in the near areas of the city by excavation and also some artworks and sculptures of famous artists. It has the largest collection with respect to different periods of Iran’s history after Tehran.
Amir Nazem House or Qajar Museum
Amir Nezam House, also known as the Qajar Museum of Tabriz, is a historical building in Sheshghelan district, one of the oldest quarters of Tabriz in East Azarbaijan province. The monument houses a museum dedicated to the Qajar Dynasty established in 2006. The building was used as an official place by the provincial governers.
The base of the edifice covers an area of 1200 square metres. This monument which since 2006 houses a museum dedicated to the Qajar dynasty (1781-1925), was built in the period of the Crown Prince Abbas Mirza (1789-1833). It was renovated by Hasan-Ali Khan, Hasan Ali Khan Garroosy, in his position as the Major-domo of Azarbaijan, and used as his residency. In the subsequent periods, the house was employed as the official residence of the provincial governors of Azarbaijan. Because of persistent neglect over a long period of time, this building had come to be in such a bad state of disrepair that for a time it was seriously considered to demolish it and build a school in its place. Between 1993-2006, it has been subject of an extensive renovation process and since the completion of this undertaking it has been granted the National Heritage status.
Ark e-Alishah or known as Arg-e Tabriz is a remnant of a fortress built in the Ilkhanate period (the 14th century). Historians believe that it was used as a military castle but clerics claim the structure. The structure was a complex of mosque, libraries, pool and mausoleum surrounded by a containing wall. In the 19th century, the structure was as a fort and additional military installation were added. The military installation were removed in the 20th century and a big mosque was built next to the citadel.
El Gholi (formerly Shah Goli) is a superb park around an artificial pond. In the center, a small hall is on the island with a restaurant which is nice for eating some kebab or drinking tea. The construction of the park dates back to the 18th century.
Saint Mary’s Church
The Saint Mary’s Church is an Armenian Christian church located in Tabriz. It is the largest and oldest Christian church and a notable center for Armenian national and religious ceremonies. The church’s construction was finished in in 1785. There was an older church built in this site in the 12th century. Marco Polo notes about the church in the way to china in his travel chronicles in 1275. The oldest stone in the church is from the 16th century.
Saat Tower, the symbol of Tabriz also known as Tabriz Municipality Palace, which is located in the center of the city and on the left side of the Blue Mosque. The building has a hall, a tower with clock, and a small garden in Southwestern side of the building. A circular pool with fountains is located in the middle of the garden.